raisin' cane w/ the big O

M McGuire Michael.McGuire at uvi.edu
Fri Dec 14 08:56:22 EST 2001

I think Mr. Gee's commonts on the use of the term 'organic' and
'pesticide-free' etc. are right on the money.  Also, I think before we all
start raising our pitchforks, it would behoove us to look at the exact
textual source of the assertion that the "USDA now owns the 'O' word for
all intents and purposes and the rules prohibit anyone claiming they have a
stronger 'O' standard."  Let's find the actual regulations and circulate
them on this list so we can see what we are dealing with.  For example, we
saw with the question of seed certification that, like any product from
bureaucrats, there is a fair amount of confusion and vagueness in the
regulations, and the application in practice of specific regulations may be
far from clear-cut.  This sort of thing happens all the time when moving
from legislation to regulations to application and interpretation.  It is
not unknown for the final product to be an unrecognizable distortion of the
law as originally written or intended, perhaps because special interests
got their fingers 'round the legislators or the regulators (ideally both,
from the special interests' perspective), or perhaps due simply to typical
bureaucratic ineptness or ignorance (not unknown in this country).  In
fact, if the regulation or its application/interpretation is inconsistent
with the spirit or letter of the law, this can be challenged, and I believe
the National Organic Standard regulations specifically delineate procedures
for calling into question these sorts of issues.  If the regulations or
even the original legislation are egregiously harmful, other legal
recourses are also available to people who organize themselves.  Before we
accuse "them" or the gummit or the Clintons or the Bushes or Santy Claus of
steam-rolling over the Bill of Rights and purporting to enslave our minds
and our children, let's get off our laurels and see exactly what we are
dealing with.  If the regulations are as Draconian as was suggested (and we
don't know this is really the case until we look at them), what does the
USDA provide for feedback and modification?.  Even the director of the USDA
admits the national standards are a first approximation towards ensuring
that the term 'organic' actually provides useful and accurate information
to the consumer, which is one of the principles behind the standards to
begin with, and which is something that most of us will agree (remember
those peaches) is probably a good idea.

Quite apart the regulatory issues, deciding on what terms to use (ie
organic vs biointensive vs pesticide free) is a virtual minefield.  As
someone suggested earlier, all "organic" production is as much based on
chemicals (organic and inorganic) as the most industrial factory farming is
based on "organic" chemicals and "natural" processes.  Pesticide- or
fungicide- or insecticide-free is also rather treacherous, as organic
farmers can (and do) legitimately apply pesticides and herbicides and
fungicides with gleeful abandon, so long as they use products in certain
categories and not those that are restricted.  Poison-free or toxin-free is
also somewhat slippery, as anything can be toxic if the dose is large
enough, and if most of the "natural" control products (such as Bt or neem
or whatever) were not toxic to the pests we are trying to manage, we would
not be using them.  I prefer Mr. Farr's "biointensive". Though perhaps
somewhat nebulous, I believe it captures the spirit of farming by working
with nature, as opposed to against nature, without dumping us into a
semantic pit.