Seeds and Organic Certification

Marcie Rosenzweig fullcircle at jps.net
Thu Dec 13 05:36:41 EST 2001

Hi Allison,

To me the "commercially available" clause has meant the seeds must be
available through normal farm seed channels in normal farm quantities
AND in the varieties you grow.
So if Early Girl tomato seeds are the only ones available and your
farm is know for Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter, you needn't
worry about procuring organic seed.  Most certifiers are interpreting
this provision in this way.

I hate seeing a great farmer like you getting an ulcer on "what ifs."
Call your certifier and ask them what they will be requiring.

This could be a niche market opportunity for some of you to contract
grow organic seeds.

Marcie
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle