Seeds and Organic Certification

Del Williams delannw at dlogue.net
Thu Dec 13 01:07:58 EST 2001

In the long run, even with small acreage I would like to certify.  Even if
my bid for the acreage adjoin the property goes through, it will take awhile
to call it "organic" even by my standards.

Sorry, but the public does 'listen' to this.  And they probably should.
Without some certification they don't know what they are getting.

On the other hand, in the short run, I do have dedicated "organic" customers
who know me and with whom I have developed a relationship.

I say this because even though I didn't sell my produce this year, when I
did fill in for vacationing market gardeners at the market, customers
recognized me and asked if the produce I was selling for the others was
organic.  Unfortunately not.  I promised I would be back next season.  So
they'll be looking for Farmer in the Del.  Great.  I hope so anyway.

In the end, it depends on your customers.  Some will insist on certification
for your produce and your prices.  Others don't care and especially if they
feel confident about you.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL