Thornless Blackberries

mckemie at austinfarm.org mckemie at austinfarm.org
Wed Dec 12 09:48:17 EST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:49:59AM -0600, Robert W Arnold wrote:
> I am looking into planting some thornless blackberries this spring. If
> anyone knows where any information is I would really appreciate it.
> Marianna, FL 32448

If you are in Florida, you might not be able to find suitable thornless
varieties.  Your best bet might be Arkansas varieties:
http://www.uark.edu/ArkHort
though I couldn't get that link to work this morning.
Or maybe:
http://www.aragriculture.org/commhort/default.asp

Navaho and Arapaho need more than my 600 chilling hours.  I don't yet
know about Apache.

For thorny varieties, probably the Texas varieties would be your best
bet: Brazos, Rosoborough, Brison, Womack.

How far north is Marianna?  What chilling do you get?  If you have any
Florida varieties, please tell us about them.

--
Willie  Onward! Through the Fog! http://austinfarm.org/homegrown
Linux system uptime  49 days  2 hours 02 minutes