Crazy OM

HackettShark at aol.com HackettShark at aol.com
Sat Dec 8 16:33:37 EST 2001

In a message dated 12/8/01 2:09:45 PM Central Standard Time,
liz at marketfarming.com writes:

> Ok, so if I'm not making "lottttttttttttts of money"...does that mean I'm
> not crazy enough ; ))) ???

What it means is when that customer comes back next week and buys your
products and tells you that you are their favorite vendor because your food
(produce) is always clean and fresh and safe to eat.  I really don't beleive
there ever is enough money to go around in this business, so you have to be
rewarded in other ways to satisify the urge to stay in there and keep growing
and keep selling to the best of your ability to satisfy your current
customers and the potential of the new customers that you work to gain every
year.

You need good financial growth every year to stay in any business,however I
do feel that farming in gereral has much less return on investment than a lot
of other business, so if one decides to go in the business it has to be for
the long run, short term just usually will not work.  I started farming in
1964 and changed  our operation in in 1982 to direct marketing rather than
selling grains and livestock wholesale.  Compared to what we did then, now we
make twice the money on 13 arces as we made on 240 acres then, go figger?
I'm really having a lot of fun doing this.

Money is Not Everything

Phil from Iowa