salt build-up in hoophouses

wiediger wiediger at msn.com
Fri Dec 7 10:57:30 EST 2001

We've been growing in hoophouses for 7 years.  We've seen salt build up after 4.  Took the plastic off the first house that exhibited salt build-up and left it off for about 8 months.  In addition to rain, we also ran overhead sprinklers.  Salt build-up exhibited itself again in about 4 months.  We can minimize the effect by incorporating a good quantity of compost.

As for tomatoes after tomatoes after tomatoes...there are some old time tomato growers who plant them year after year in the same field and feed the tomatoes with compost made from the vines from the old tomatoes.  They tell me their plants get better every year!

We found a possible solution to tomato hornworm in hoophouses is to close them up just before dusk.  The years we do this we have minimal hornworm damage.  When we leave them open, we see a lot.

I agree with Bob, a heated hoophouse is too valuable to grow winter vegetables.  You have to analyze cost and profit per square foot.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com