hornworms and cleaning pots

Marcie Rosenzweig fullcircle at jps.net
Fri Dec 7 08:17:39 EST 2001

Hi All,

Like most moths, Sphinx are attracted by light.  You may find you
have less problem with tomato beds positioned furthest from your
night lighting.  Also, I found an excess of nitrogen in the plants (
compared to a balance with potassium and phosphorus and calcium) is
more attractive to all pests.  You might want do do some soil testing
and consider especially a foliar calcium to improve the cell wall
structure and balance the nitrogen.  This helps prevent blossom end
rot also.

I  knocked the old soil out of my pots and used soap and water plus
sunlight as a sterilant.  Never had a problem.  I suspect some of the
ultraviolet and ozone technology being used for pre-cut veggies would
also work, but it's pricey.  Food-grade peroxide should also work.
All are strong oxidizers.

BTW, I've been invited to speak at the Southern SAWG conference
January 25-27, hope to see some of you there.

Marcie

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln