alternative to bleach for cleaning pots

Mmneedham at aol.com Mmneedham at aol.com
Fri Dec 7 06:21:30 EST 2001

In a message dated 12/06/2001 7:54:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Grow19 at aol.com writes:

> I've heard that there is an effective non-bleach solution to use to
> sterilize
> pots and flats.  Can you tell me what it is and how to purchase it?

I saved the following information from one of my cat lists.  The concern
there was to kill bacteria without harming kitties.

"A combination of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar will kill almost anything.
Use separate spray bottles of each so they combine at the site.  Rinse
afterward.  This ability to kill almost every household pathogen was reported
in Science News a year or two ago."

I haven't yet tried this myself.  The key seems to be keeping the ingredients
separate until applied, which may prove impractical on a large scale.

Marj