cold weather growing

William McKay bmckay55 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 21:16:45 EST 2001

I have been using an unheated hoophouse for four years now.  They do work
reasonably well, although I am in zone five and the coldest we have had is
-5 for a period.

While all you said is true, it is especially so for certain kinds of
lettuces.  Head lettuce does especially poorly (they rot at the base);  any
lettuce much older than about 30 days (assuming it was summer and you had 30
days worth of growth) does poorly).  Leaf lettuce does best;  tango does ok,
but I have had pretty good luck with just about any leaf lettuce.  Wild
arugula does fine as does cultivated arugula (but not as fine).

At -20, however, I don't know.  That is mighty cold.

I can say that I have overwintered rosemary for the past four winters, one
of which was really brutal.  The thing to do is experiment;  see what works,
and more importantly, does it sell even if it works.

Regards

Bill McKay in E. Massachusetts  and   www.growitalian.com    Distributor of
Italian Vegetable Seeds from Franchi Sementi, spa, Bergamo, Italy.  Seedsmen
since 1783.