market-farming Pond Plants

Dori Green dorigreen00 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 08:30:01 EDT 2001

Take a look at http://www.mellingers.com .  If I stay here I'm planting some
of their bamboo in my bog next year, and building a koi pond near the house
and nursery area from which I'll grow and sell koi and pond plants and
fountains to the rapidly-encroaching Yuppie Horde (are they invaders or
customers, who knows).

Bamboo can be VERY invasive.  But of course it's useful and marketable as an
edible and for garden structures.

http://www.richters.com is another possible source for pond plants,
especially water-loving herbs.

Cattails are also edible and ornamental, and they naturalize nicely.
Horsetail, iris, joe-pye weed, boneset, horseradish, elderberries, and
rampion are other plants that prefer damp feet.  If you're doing pond
plantings don't neglect Purple Loosestrife.

Marketing all of these is another discussion and another whole full-time
job.

Dori Green
Corning, NY