"Minor" subdivisions of land

Marcie Rosenzweig fullcircle at jps.net
Tue Aug 14 09:07:45 EDT 2001

Hello folks,

Our local Ag Commission along with our local Land Trust are trying to
develop some sort of points system to act as a gudieline to the
Planning Commission when the PC considers "minor" subdivisions of
agriculturally-zoned parcels.   One of the insideous ways we're
losing our ag lands is that someone will take, for instance an
80-acre parcel and ask for a variance to split it into 4 20-acre
parcels.  Several years later, the owners of one of the 20-acre
parcels will ask for a variance to split it into 2 10-acre parcels.
Because these are "minor zoning variances" there's a "nail and mail"
notification.  i.e. contiguous property owners get mailed a hearing
notice (ususally conveniently scheduled for mid-morning of a week
day) and an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet gets nailed to a fence post on the
parcel for 30 days prior to the hearing,  effectively limiting public
notice.

Obviously, in spite of the general plan language to support
agriculture , the aggregate of these minor variances are severely
limiting the economics of agricultural  parcels remaining.

Has anyone worked on this problem in your area?  What did you come up with?

Marcie

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln