soybeans

Nancy Haycock nhaycock at pratt.edu
Wed Sep 27 16:25:30 EDT 2000

I am very interested in how people fared with soybeans this year. I know
quite a number of people were going to grow soybeans for market for the
first time.  I had a couple of specific questions:
(1) Once the plants are pulled up, how long do you have before the beans
have to be eaten or frozen?  I pulled up my plants last Sunday, and I
found that the pods started  to dehydrate after 2 days.
(2) If the pods are refrigerated, how long will they last?
(3) Did soybeans turn out to be a money maker for anyone?? Did people
buy them?
The beans are so delicious and a great green color, but you do need a
lot of pods in order to have a meal's worth, and that means a lot of
work steaming them and then opening them all up.  Are customers willing
to do that work?
I'd appreciate any thoughts on growing soybeans for market.
Thanks.
Nancy Haycock