greenhouses

William McKay bmckay55 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 08:37:31 EDT 2000

Several more thoughts.

Regarding covering, most folks I know who heat their houses use a double
layer of uv treated plastic with a small squirril cage blower keeping an
insulating layer of air between the two films.  .The covering typically
lasts three or four years and you can get them from lots of places.  Griffin
seems to be the big supplier in New England, but I am sure there are others.
  In addition to plastic, griffin sells hoops, heaters, vents, etc and will
also set up houses.

You might also go around and talk to some of the folks in your area who have
heated houses and pick their brains.  Growing tomatoes in greenhouses is not
for the faint of heart and is especially difficult if you are an organic
grower.

As for getting tomatoes and peppers in mid June, I have done it in my
unheated house but only in a year when we happened to have a fairly sunny
spring.  There are a number of growers out in the connecticut river vallley
who grow tomatoes on a  major scale in unheated houses; they put them out in
April, under remay, and begin to harvest by mid to late June, well in
advance of folks who grow outside.  Cherry tomatoes seem to take fairly well
to this although I guess you could grow the typical greenhouse varieties.
As for growing tomatoes and peppers in heated greenhouse, you should spend a
lot of time running the numbers.  It is tough to produce them at a
competitive price.  Most people in New England have stopped trying and grow
high value items like flowers.

Do take a look at Eliot Coleman's stuff.  I think he is correct is his
belief that you can make a profit growing greens of various sorts in
unheated houses.  You might consider having a smaller heated house to get
things up and running, grow some transplants to a larger size, etc and some
unheated houses to extend your season a month or so on each end.

Bill McKay