small haying equipment

Marie Kamphefner kampy at grm.net
Mon Sep 4 12:36:15 EDT 2000

We've been in the same situation - lots of nice hay with nobody to bale it.
 We've not found small haying equipment, that we could afford anyway.  This
year we have beautiful organic clover, alfalfa and orchard grass and the
guy would bale it if he could keep 2/3 of it.  We agreed, but I felt like
it should have been 1/2 and 1/2 at least.

When I was a kid, quite a few years ago, thank you, I helped my dad make
haystacks and you could do this too.  We mowed the hay, used an old
horse-drawn rake behind the Farmall Cub to make windrows (I think that's
what they're called).  Then we hooked up a skid thing to the Cub and went
around and picked up the hay with forks.  Then we made a haystack.   We
made the base, then as the stack got higher, it got more and more narrow
and the top was rounded off.  Probably could put a tarp over the top and
anchor it into the ground with ropes.  The stack was wonderful for sliding
down too.

Marie in Missouri