No subject

Steve Matthiasson steve at lodiwine.com
Tue Oct 24 13:20:52 EDT 2000

While it is true that peat moss acidifies soil, it more complicated than
that with compost. Finished manure or green waste based compost typically
has a pH in the 7.1-7.8 range. Furthermore, if compost is well finished,
with a high content of humus, it has a pH buffering effect--in an alkaline
environment humus releases hydrogen ions (H+), lowering pH...but
conversely, in an acidic environment humus disassociates hydroxy groups
(OH-), which raises pH. For this reason compost is a safe and valuable soil
amendment for both acidic and alkaline soils.

Steve Matthiasson
Viticulturist
Lodi-Woodbridge Winegrape Commission