[Lowering pH]

David & Crystal consalvi at midmaine.com
Fri Oct 20 14:01:41 EDT 2000

David King~
Will these mycorrhizzae work on *really* acid soil, too? Our's (verified)
ranges from 4.7 to 5.3 in our fields way up here in the wilds of Maine.
We've added lime and are in the long slow process of raising it through the
addition of organic matter.
~Crystal
Crystal Dawn Farm in ME

However.  Soil science is understanding the relationship of mycorrhizae more
and what they will accomplish for the roots.  It seems that these bacteria
can
change the pH of the soil in the immediate presence of the plant roots.
This
will prove more cost beneficial - and you cannot overdo it with mycorrhizae.
They will only change the pH for the root to the pH ideal for that plant's
roots in the immediate area around the roots.  More better.

So retest.  If it's really that high, look into mycorrhizae.

David King
Consulting Horticulturalist
323.816.0503