Timber harvest

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Thu Oct 19 13:29:18 EDT 2000

For nearly 20 years my sister heated a 30x70 glass house with a dual fuel oil/wood
heater I forget the brand except it came from Nova Scotia, you would load with
wood get to fire going then it would smoulder until the thermostat clicked on this
would activate a small blower that would blaze the fire and activate a 1 HP blower
to distrubute heat, the thermostat would stop the blower when needed and fire
would smoulder again till next time she grew geraniums and pot mums at 70* night
temps all winter nicely without need for oil, I have used 55 gallon drum stoves in
my smaller 700 sq ft houses and a double barrel in my 1000 sq ft houses I needed
to use two double barrel stoves in my 28x96' and three in my 22x145' house, I heat
from October till May and maintaining 9 stoves plus my home including hauling dead
falls and spliting and stacking and filling stoves three times a day not to
mention
"paying guys for cords that were seldom cords" got to be a full time job I
switched to oil in all houses and even at $2 a gallon or more its worth the cost I
now get to sleep at night and can go away for a day and not worry about heat.
before you get into wood check the labor side to see if wood is really a good
value.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ