market-farming digest: October 04, 2000

Julie M. Willingham farm2gates at excite.com
Mon Oct 9 15:34:25 EDT 2000

Mike,

We have been hauling free manure mixed with pine shavings for almost 18
months from a 45 horse stable 2 miles from our farm. I have been
(negatively) impressed with the amount of weed seed in the manure. It seems
that many stabled horses here are fed grass hay or mixed grass/alfalfa hay,
and that is where the seeds originate.

Some of the manure is now almost 12 months old and weed seed is still a
problem. That is why we are building a front loader for our tractor to help
us "hot" compost it.

That said, I still think you should take the manure if it is free.

Julie

The Farm of Two Gates
zone 6b in the low, dry, hot part of Washington