Harvesting chard/kale

Del Williams delannw at dlogue.net
Thu Oct 5 07:19:23 EDT 2000

It has never occurred to me to harvest the centers first...I have always
harvested outer leaves first.  Hmmmm.  Anyway, I grew Fordhook giant, Ruby
and Bright Lights.  The Fordhook sells the best and is easily the best
producer.  It takes off ahead of the others and just keeps going.  Folks
around here take a little coaxing to buy the red, yellow, pink, etc...
chards.  Frankly, they all taste the same to me.

I harvest outer leaves all summer long without any negative impact on the
plant.  Didn't have problems with flea beetles eating them all up this year,
either.  That was nice.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL