Horse manure as a fertilizer

Martin Koenig koehoe at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 21:57:57 EDT 2000

We use lots of composted horse manure, although ONLY mixed with straw.  We compost it for
4-6 months, depending on how fresh it is.  We have gotten some horse manure mixed with
shavings and will never do it again.  Shavings can take a year or more to really break
down.  I also like the way the horse manure conditions our clay soil but am looking
forward to getting chickens so that I can have a compost with higher fertility than the
horse.

Margaret Hoeffel
Blue Moon Farm
Pacific NW