UPDATE! Future of Our Food and Farms Summit

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflondon at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 14 15:07:45 EST 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:17:38 -0500, "Victoria M. Bhavsar"
<toria at pop.uky.edu> wrote:

>What happened with that extension agent?  Is there anything that people on
>this list can do to make sure that he is reinstated, should he wish to work
>in that area again?  I think that some real grassroots power could be shown
>here if the area received a flood of calls, emails, and attention demanding
>that this person's First Amendment rights were observed (which is darn well
>what it comes down to!)  Or was there something and I (sheepishly ask)
>missed it?

Here is the original post about this made to the list:

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:28:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows at excite.com>
To: sandehill at juno.com, AdamsonGrn at aol.com, pastpat at thepoint.net,
 bahrge at muohio.edu, randyb at parakron.com, sbonney at iquest.net,
 jana at mountainmax.net, anneb at zoomnet.net
Subject: Fwd: Cooperative Extension is neither!? (long message)
Cc: gejo at firstbankconnect.com, ChrisJ40 at aol.com,
dayjm at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu,
 IDONKEYOTI at aol.com, organicgrowing at egroups.com,
miller_farm at earlham.edu,
 market-farming at franklin.oit.unc.edu
Newsgroups: market-farming

I got this from a CSA list I subscribe too. It's long but worth
reading
Lucy

>  Fellow CSA farmers,
>  Recently, a rather disturbing turn of events has occured in my community
of
>  Fredericksburg, Virginia. (I've pasted pertinent newspaper articles from
the
>  Free Lance-Star  below) To give you an introduction, our local
Cooperative
>  Extension Horticultural Agent was fired for what he believes was a letter
>  the editor written in response to a Dennis Avery opinion editiorial.
>  Below, Mr. Avery's op-ed appears first, then Mr. Bishop's repsonse,
followed
>  by the news article concerning his job termination.
>
>  The ACLU is representing Mr. Bishop in a lawsuit against Virginia Tech.
(the
>  institute that serves as Extension 'headquarters' in our state) in
defense of
>  his civil rights. Our CSA wishes to address this case from a pro-organic
>  standpoint. Many of us feel that the Virginia Cooperative Extension
Service
> [...]

>  several of the programs he initiated in his year in the position.
>
>  "You represent Virginia Cooperative Extension well: professional in your
>  actions with staff, volunteer and the public," the evaluation states.
>  "You display initiative in getting the program well established."
>
>  It listed three "suggestions," with one being to "continue to expand
>  your efforts."
>
>  Federal law protects the free-speech rights of both private and public
>  employees. There are exceptions, such as if the employer can prove the
>  worker's speech endangered the job, the company or agency or other
>  employees.
>
>  Bishop said he isn't sure what the temporary position entails. He said
>  has not decided whether he will sue over the matter.
>
>  The extension program is run by Virginia Tech, but salaries are funded
>  by area localities.
>
>  Butterfield said yesterday that she could not discuss the issue.
>
>  "This is a personnel issue and I really cannot comment on it," she said.
>  "We are not at liberty to disclose the details of this particular
>  issue."
>
>  She suggested contacting David Barrett, director of the Virginia
>  Cooperative Extension program. A message left at his office yesterday
>  was not returned.
>
>  In the letter informing Bishop of his switch to the six-month position,
>  Butterfield wrote that Bishop will continue to receive the same salary.
>
>  But he warned Bishop that he is expected to "represent extension and the
>  university in a professional manner. Failure to abide by policies and
>  procedures could result in termination for cause at any time during the
>  six-month period."
>
>  Southern Stafford gardener Mike Costa said he deals with Bishop through
>  various local activities. He was appalled when he learned that Bishop
>  was removed from his position.
>
>  Costa said Bishop was integral to several local programs. Bishop
>  coordinates gardening classes. He also was key in launching the new
>  First Saturdays program, in which a different Fredericksburg-area garden
>  is featured and toured each month.
>
>  Bishop also worked with the Downtown Greens Community Gardens program.
>
>  "Dennis is a tireless worker," Costa said. "He was instrumental in
>  putting together this First Saturday program. That program has been an
>  unmitigated success."
>
>  Costa said he cannot imagine any justification for removing Bishop, and
>  believes the letter was the cause.
>
>  "Somebody speaks up about organic gardening, they get summarily fired,"
>  he said.
>
>  Costa said it is ironic if Bishop is in trouble over controversial
>  speech. He said Bishop has a mild-mannered and temperate style.
>
>  "I think it's a devastating loss to the community," Costa said. "I can't
>  think of anybody who would have a bad word to say about him. I think
>  there are folks in the community here who are not planning on letting

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH
Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa