wireworms

Alex McGregor waldenfarm at sprintmail.com
Thu Jun 29 16:52:31 EDT 2000

Nancy,

Wireworms are the larval form of clicK beetles.  Click beetles lay their eggs in sod
where there's plenty of food for their babies- wireworms eat roots.  It's no wonder you
have them in a newly tilled area.  Cultivation will get rid of them.

Too late now, but next time, plant something that root feeders won't damage in newly
tilled areas.  The click beetles won't lay eggs in a cultivated area, so it should be
"wireworm-less" after this season.  (Assuming you keep the area clean of weeds and grass
this summer.)  Plant a non-grass cover this Fall and you should not see any (or very
many) wireworms next season.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm