direct seeding brassicas

Julie M. Willingham farm2gates at excite.com
Fri Jun 23 14:30:37 EDT 2000

Alex,

Thanks for your reply about using shade cloth until the seeds germinate.

A retired farmer neighbor suggested planting in a 4 inch deep trench, which
will also lend some wind protection.(Kind of the opposite of a raised
bed.)We don't have any drainage problems on most of the farm because it is
almost a sand dune. I don't know if this would work on your farm.

I will be trying both methods, since I will be planting more area than I
have shade cloth. I will let you know how they compare.

Julie
The Farm of Two Gates
zone 6b in the low, dry, hot part of Washington