Methyl Bromide till 2015/

Ava Devenport essenheal at iname.com
Fri Jun 16 17:13:25 EDT 2000

On 06/15/00, "Hugh Lovel <uai at alltel.net>" wrote:
> ....Methyl Bromide is one of the most dangerous and destructive
> chemicals in use in agriculture today. Its use should have ceased long
> before this, and 2005 can hardly come soon enough to staunch the
> environmental and agricultural degredation this chemical causes. Please
> listen to someone who has long researched this problem and who has
> alternatives to offer farmers when they wake up and listen.
> Hugh M. S. Lovel, Director
> Union Agricultural Institute
> Blairsville, Georgia 30512

Dear Hugh:

There may well be an alternative to Methyl Bromide which exists already.

There is an article in the AMS newsletter archive titled 'New Uses for
Milkweed/Oct 01, 1999' and along with alternative uses for the fiber, there
was research conducted regarding what the leftover seedmeal could be used
for, as it can't be used as feed.

Washington State University researchers discovered the seedmeal
incorporated into the soil may well be an alternative to Methyl Bromide as
it was found to kill 97% of nematodes and fall armeyworms on tomatoes,
peppers, and a host of additional produce.

The scientific contact at the New Crops Research Unit in Peoria, IL is
Roger E. Harry-O'Kuru at harryore at ncaur.usda.gov  They have all the
existing trials there and would most certainly send it to you over the
web.

I do know that the New Fiber Corp. in Nebraska is paying farmers to
cultivate milkweed as a down replacement in comforters (I think that part
of the corp. is called Ogallala Downs) and they are also using the pulp for
'paper' products, etc., but the seedmeal to date is not being used, other
than by the ag. researchers.

Blessings,
Ava