Methyl Bromide till 2015/

Alex McGregor waldenfarm at sprintmail.com
Thu Jun 15 11:32:56 EDT 2000

Jill,

I know they gas fruit and vegetables to cause "ripening" or turning them red.  I don't
know what it is.

A noble cause! (The community kitchen.) And one that strikes a chord in me.  You have my
appreciation and admiration for taking the time for such work.

I've been feeling like the direction I've gone with growing food has been wrong.  I grow
high nutrient, chemical free food for direct sales, but have seen that only those on the
top of the social system can afford to buy from me.

I've been trying to come up with a way to get this kind of food (and at least some of
mine) to the people on the bottom.  We have a Community Kitchen and I've taken them some
things they don't usually get donated, like salad greens.  What I would like to do is get
something larger going and get ALL of my production and/or some high quality food from
others to the Kitchen.

Could you share your project with us (or at least me)?  I'm looking for ways to make this
happen and would appreciate any ideas.  Anyone else out there doing something similar?

(I realize that these are stop gap measures- treating symptoms rather than addressing the
real source.  This source is economic systems which allow wealth/power/information to be
concentrated in the hands of the few.  But, people need to eat until the system is
changed.  I would like to feed some while working towards a system in which we all thrive
and there is no hoarding.)

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm