new farmer needs info on mulching between rows

Alex McGregor waldenfarm at sprintmail.com
Thu Jun 15 10:09:29 EDT 2000

Susan,

How far are you from Atlanta?  Skip & Cookie Glover in Douglasville have devised an
ingenious mulching method between their beds- capitalizing on Atlanta's requirement of
putting yard waste in paper bags for curbside pickup.

They make early morning runs to beat the city trucks and haul leaves back to the farm.
Then they split the paper bags, place them on the paths and top with the leaves.  Adding
the bags uses everything they pick up and helps keep the weeds down.  The bags are craft
paper and rot pretty fast- over 1 season.

Here, people use plastic bags.  I collect them, but the plastic bags are a disposal
problem.  I realize there are no leaves now.  I gather in the Fall and stockpile them for
the following season.  Grass clippings are a good mulch available now.  I avoid picking
up grass from chemically managed lawns.  They contain all the toxic chemicals used.  I
look for a lawn with a variety of plants growing like grass with clover and plantain and
avoid the "monocrops."

If you know any lawn service people, they may have these that they haul away from yards
they mow and rake.  Some are happy to deliver to avoid paying landfill costs.  I have
some ecologically-oriented neighbors who deliver their yard waste, knowing it will be
used for mulch and composting instead of filling up landfills.

The point is, there's a lot of free mulching material out there.  It just takes a little
time and effort to establish connections.  And you have to be willing to "pick garbage"
which is looked down on by some people.  Good Hunting!

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm