Epsom Salts

Alex McGregor waldenfarm at sprintmail.com
Sat Jun 10 12:37:58 EDT 2000

Jill,

Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate- more exactly, magnesium sulfate
pentahydrate.  It contains both Magnesium and Sulfur.

As for organic certification- some certifiers list it as "Restricted"
and, if so, can only be used if a deficiency of Magnesium is determined
by a soil test.

Using any mineral indiscriminately can lead to a build up of that
mineral in the soil.  This can mean a mineral imbalance in the soil and
some micronutrients can build up to a toxic (for plants) level.  The
calcium/magnesium balance in the soil is an important one.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm