soy to my world

jrei at uswest.net jrei at uswest.net
Sat Jun 3 00:15:21 EDT 2000

Hi,
The interest in vegetable soy beans seems to have caught on this year all over. I have
seen one response to your question maintaining that vegetable soybeans are the same as
dried soybeans used for cattle feed and processing. These grain soybeans and the vegetable
or Japanese edamame  soybeans are different. The true vegetable soybean has lower trypsin
levels, fewer oligosaccharides and more vitamins than the processing types. These factors
make the bean much sweeter without the bitter aftertaste that can be found in other
varieties.

Unfortunately because of the demand many of the best varieties have been sold out for a
month or so. Most of the best varieties come from Japan although breeders for the US
Soybean Institute have released some edamame types in the form of germplasm and the USDA
recently released a mass germplasm that we are working with. If you are interested in
trialing some I would be interested in there performance in the deep south. Let me know.
Joel @ Territorial Seed