Speckled Butterbeans...any advice from the newcomer from mississippi?

delannw delannw at dlogue.net
Thu Jun 1 08:59:21 EDT 2000

Hi!  Just what I needed, someone from MS on the list!

I grow speckled butterbeans (limas...not soybeans) and sell them at the farmers' market in Kankakee, IL.  We have a lot of original southerners (especially from Mississippi) in our area.  I have been growing the bush variety but planted two pole varieties this year.
I know you moved from Maine but have you seen people growing these in your area?

Do you know anything about spacing, etc.?  Varieties?

By the way everyone, these are great for drought or hot conditions.  They were the only bean that actually made during last summers hot and dry conditions.  Well, the okra did well too.  Oh, and butterbeans freeze well and are delicious.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL 60927