grass clippings

five springs farm fsfarm at mufn.org
Tue Jul 11 09:45:19 EDT 2000

We are considering investing in the mowing equipment that would allow us to
gather up large amounts of grass clipping (and leaves) to use as mulch. The
intent is to heavily mulch much of our 1/2 acre of intensive raised bed
veggies. We would hope to be able to reduce or eliminate animal manures (we
use horse poop mostly) as it brings in so many new weeds each year, is a
hassle to obtain and haul, and seems such excellent grub habitat. It would
also substitute for much of the straw mulch that we purchase. We would also
compost the material (with garden scraps and leaves).

What experience do folks have with grass as mulch? Are there any particular
down-sides (not counting the possibility of contaminated yard clippings from
lawns that use chemicals, since it would all be from our own land). Will the
clippings "pull" nitrogen from the soil as they decompose? Is there an
optimal thickness for the mulch? And so on...

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf