sod and wireworms

Nancy Haycock nhaycock at acnet.pratt.edu
Mon Jul 10 15:16:26 EDT 2000

When I started this year, someone advised me NOT to till up all the sod
in my field for beds, but instead to leave the sod between the beds
intact, and then mow that with a lawnmower. They said that this would
help prevent erosion, and be easier to manage then tilling up the whole
area.  I did that, but have discovered quite a number of wireworms in my
beds.
Now I am wondering if I shouldn't backtrack, and till up the grass
between my beds. (maybe planting clover or some other cover to attract
beneficials)
My first question is, do you think this would help get rid of the
wireworms (in other words, are the wireworms likely to travel from the
sod into my beds?).  I would prefer to tackle the problem now, rather
than in a couple of years. On the other hand, am I just creating work
for myself??
Second, IF I am going to till up the sod in September, would putting
black plastic down now kill the sod by then? My sod is incredibly
difficult to work with because the hay field has not been tilled or
disked in at least 30 years (just hayed), and there is this orange woody
root (like wire) that runs through it. I think maybe this orange woody
root might be vetch, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Nancy