Garlic Seed, Market Prices

Alex McGregor waldenfarm at sprintmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:06:22 EDT 2000

Tara,

First, I've never found anything on the web listing organic produce prices.  What I do is
check out store and farmers' market prices each week.  I also check the big produce
houses for their wholesale prices. (They print a new list each week.  If you're bashful
about asking them, ask a restaurant for theirs from last week.)  The key is to check
prices each week because they change.  Also, keep track of this and you'll see the major
trends very season.

Second, see my post on onion seeds earlier today.  Garlic is in the same family.  The
flower heads are usually cut off while still young to cause larger bulb growth.  I cut
them off while they're still tender and sell them and replant cloves from the largest
bulbs.  (See earlier posts on garlic.)  You can let the plants go to seed (really small
bulbs) but it takes 2 years for them to mature and the parent bulbs will be smaller.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm