onion seeds

Alex McGregor waldenfarm at sprintmail.com
Fri Jul 7 11:09:39 EDT 2000

Marie,

There's an excellent book on seed saving- "Seed To Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth.  She works
with Seed Savers Exchange and knows her stuff.  I prefer books written by those who do
(fill in the blank) for a living rather than write books for a living.

In general, harvest seeds when you do the onions- when the stalks begin to dry.  Cure
them for 10-12 days.  Avoid drying in the sun where temps may exceed 75 F.  She also says
that they need a dormancy period, so don't plant right away.  Store them at 32- 45 deg.
for 3-6 months or at 77-95 deg.  Room temperature will kill them.  She also has temp. and
humidity requirements for 10-12 month storage. (Now I know why those 1 year old onion
seeds never sprouted!)

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm