National Organic Program "Final Rule"

Hook Family guldann at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 23 09:43:54 EST 2000

I have to say I agree with Robert.  As a tiny grower dealing with only local
customers (CSA and maybe future farm stand) I don't ever see us getting USDA
certification.  We started the local certification process last year (great
timing) and will continue (must do this for 3 yrs) but if our local cert.
agent gets voided I do not think we will continue to try and become USDA
cert. We will of course continue our organic (whoops probably shouldn't have
used that word) techniques.  I will simply explain in what ever language we
are allowed to use, I thought there was free speech around here, that we use
xyz growing techiques.  We barly break even now I see no business benefit
from a USDA label in our local market.  Is there any loophole for the local
cert such as if you are only selling within a certain state you do not need
USDA you may stay locally cert.?  Thanks  Beth

leave-market-farming at franklin.oit.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq