Glow in the dark spuds

Aozotorp at aol.com Aozotorp at aol.com
Mon Dec 18 19:34:25 EST 2000

In a message dated 12/18/00 4:02:39 PM Mountain Standard Time,
jeff at emarketfarm.com writes:

<< re: "Glow in the Dark Spuds called 'Agriculture of the Future'"

 Dear Friends,

    I've been following this list-serve for quite sometime and have come
 to appreciate the "grassroots" comments posted here by farmers nationwide.
    As an agricultural journalist and direct-marketing small farmer, I
 thought the following story (which just came across the AP wires) would
 be of interest to this group. The full story is posted below.
    I'm working on a follow-up story right now indicating reaction from
 farmers. If you would like to make a comment, please e-mail me ASAP.
 Keep your comments to three sentences or less (for newspaper format) and
 include your full name, location of your farm and the type of operation
 (veg, fruit, etc.).

 Best regards,

 Jeff Ishee
 --
 http://www.emarketfarm.com
 Resources for farmers' markets and market farmers
 info at emarketfarm.com
 P.O. Box 52
 Middlebrook, VA 24459
 *************************************

 Monday December 18 10:47 AM ET

 New Super-Spud Glows Green to Ask for Water

 LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists have pioneered a genetically modified
 ``super potato'' which glows when it needs water, the head of the
 project said on Monday.

 Researchers at Edinburgh University injected potato plants with a
 fluorescence gene borrowed from the luminous jellyfish aequorea
 victoria, which causes their leaves to glow green when dehydrated.

 ``This is an agriculture of the future,'' Professor Anthony Trewavas
 told Reuters. ``We were trying to design a way of monitoring the
 resources within a field and decided it was the plant itself which has
 that information.''

 The potatoes are not intended to be eaten but would act as
 ''sentinels,'' planted beside the commercial crop to alert a farmer that
 the rest of his field needed watering. >>

Well, that last one better change!  Seems we are getting corn to eat that we
should not have!