on the whole organic issue

Jennifer-Claire Klotz jcvk at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 14:12:38 EST 2000

100% totally off the record.  (Note this is my personal email acccount)

Media is a funky bunch and I would by far not believe everything they say.
(RE: 60 minutes fiasco).  The reporter probably called up someone at USDA
and said, "Is there any scientific evidence that organic is safer or better"
and someone said, "no" and hence she had a "quote".  Did you verify the
story?  Did you call the reporter and ask for her source?  (If she is just
making up ya-ya you should get a retraction on air.)  Did you call her up
and ask her if you could provide her some research?  For that matter why not
call up the station and ask for equal time?  Is there even anything on the
NOP website that confirms what the reporter said?  Unfortunately it is up to
you to prove the reporter wrong!

I am just confused.

In defense of NOP.  They work hard.  (Yes, they were not at the holiday
party as they are working on the rule!)  They are subject to the political
whims of the powers that be.  Not a place I would want to work because no
one likes you and you work like a slave.

What we should all be thankful for is that this is almost over.  At least a
rule is going to come out.  If it isn't done before January 20th you can
guarantee it would be years before it came out!

As for USDA bashing, there are a few of us who never deal with
"agribusiness".  (In my 3 years I never have.)  I work with small farmers.
I work with state and local government.  I work mostly with sustainable and
organic producers and associations.  Please don't generalize, it hurts my
feelings.

Go ask for your equal time!  Preaching to the choir on here doesn't change
much. (oh yes, haven't all of us become professionals at writing biting
letters to politicians and editors!?!)

And yes, my backyard garden is organic because I, on a personal level, think
it is better.

claire
(a peon in the machine)