USDA strikes again

Marie Kamphefner kampy at grm.net
Fri Dec 15 11:01:15 EST 2000

This morning between 5 and 5:30 on channel 41 out of Kansas City, the lady
newscaster announced that organic food may  not be all it was cracked up to
be.  Then a message came on from the USDA saying that organic food was not
more nutritious and not more safe to eat than conventionally grown
food.  It went on to say that the USDA will soon have its organic rules in
place so everyone in the U.S. will have the same protection.  If I hadn't
been so sleepy, I would have written it all down verbatim.  I feel like
perhaps the consumers need protection from the USDA.  I suppose there are
still some people who believe what they see on TV and what they read in the
papers.  It might be advantageous to move to Mexico - then anything you
care to grow  could be shipped across the border without regulation.  Maybe
organic growers will have to go underground - sell gourmet salad mix on the
black market, have pockets sewn into the linings of overcoats and stuff
them with Brandywine tomatoes, and deliver in the wee hours in trucks
marked "tobacco."  What a concept!

Marie in Missouri