growing grapes

delannw delannw at dlogue.net
Sat Aug 12 07:39:33 EDT 2000

Phil,  you really ought to contact your extension service and see what their recommendations are for your area.

There is also an interesting article on growing muscadine grapes in Kitchen Gardener magazine

 www.kitchengarden.com

If your winters are as brutal as they are in central Illinois then you are going to be somewhat limited in what you can grow.  In general, the viniferas  do not do well in my area.  They are a little to prone to disease problems and winter bud kill.

I could probably get the names of some reputable nurseries that would have bare root or containerized grape plants.  My husband used to work in that area.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL