Bamboo Stakes

Jennie Lee tulipcreek at dixie-net.com
Tue Oct 16 04:46:07 EDT 1956

Hi everyone -
	I'm way behind schedule reading through my emails but here's
my belated 2-cents worth on Jeanine's question about bamboo stakes in
Florida weave. I try to use bamboo as much as possible b/c I can get
it for free and its pretty in the field but it didn't work as well
for tomatoes as I had hoped it would. We have a very thin layer of
top soil and an impenetrably hard clay subsoil. Even when I cut the
ends of the bamboo poles to a sharp point, I couldn't get it more
than about 5 or 6 inches into the ground. This doesn't anchor it well
enough to hold up heavy tomato plants at the end of the summer. My
rows were a mess by August, even after I tried to stabilize them with
metal fence posts. If your soil is such that you can get the posts in
fairly deep, I think it would probably work, though you should use
stakes maybe 4-6 inches in diameter. I used some that were smaller
and some of them snapped off mid-summer. Good luck _ Jennie Lee
Etta, Mississippi