[internetworkers] “Vote for me because I’m smarter than you are, you morons”

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Tue Sep 28 16:18:53 EDT 2004

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp

  HOW LONG UNTIL BUSH CRITICS BEGIN DENOUNCING VOTERS? [09/28 11:48 AM]

Well, this is the truth.
New York's state Democratic Party chairman derided President Bush
yesterday as "simple" and "that simplistic gentleman up there in the
White House with his one- and two-syllable answers."

Yes. Yes. A thousand times, yes. That is why Bush keeps winning the
message debates. The average voter is working hard, maybe trying to
start a business on the side or sell something on E-Bay or whatever.
They’re taking the kids to school, soccer practice, band camp, etc.
They’re much more worried about the groin problems of their favorite
team’s starting linebacker than the future of Social Security. They
don’t want to spend an enormous amount of time reading up studies by
the Brookings Institution on the pending difficulties in Trans-Atlantic
relations. Seeing the towers fall on 9/11 frightened them like nothing
else in this life, and they right now have very simple, but not small
expectations from their leaders. Which message is going to appeal to
them more?

Bush: “I’m gonna kill terrorists. Killin’ those who need killin’ is
what I’m good at.”
Kerry: “I will restore our nation to its respected position in the
international community.”

And if Bush’s critics want to take this opportunity to rip the American
people for being “too simple-minded” to understand Democratic arguments
and philosophies, the GOP will cheer them on.

Folks on the right fell into a dangerous habit during the Lewinsky
scandal when they started dismissing the insufficiently-outraged
American people as “sheeple.” In recent years, this bad habit quickly
got picked up by the left, particularly as the antiwar movement picked
up steam.

  Look, you may be smarter than the average member of the public. You
may have better judgment than the average member of the public. But
once you start declaring this for all the world to hear, the average
member of the public will quickly conclude that you are a egomaniacal
jerk.

“Vote for me because I’m smarter than you are, you morons” is not a
winning slogan.