[internetworkers] Charity

Corey Wilson corey_wilson at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 11:18:17 EDT 2004

childers.paula at epamail.epa.gov wrote:

>Personally, I see volunteering at a soup kitchen or for an adult
>literacy organization as a very political statement. Heck, these days,
>volunteering alone is a political statement. !!
>
>(I urge you and everyone here to commit to volunteering for some cause
>or issue you personally feel strongly about, regardless of whether it is
>"apolitical" or secular or whatever.)
>
>In "other ideas," the Eno River Association or Triangle Land Conservancy
>can always use people, especially if you can do trail work.
>
>---
>Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!  http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
>You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
>To unsubscribe visit http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/internetworkers

Let me refine: I'm not entrenched in the secular and apolitical
requirements, I just feel like I should try to maximize my chances of
success, i.e., continuing involvement, by aligning my choice of charity
with my values.

For the benefit of open discussion, and others who may be interested in
volunteering, please don't limit suggestions to these constraints (not
like it's stopped you so far ;).

--cw