[internetworkers] Triumph of the Stultocracy

James Dasher jdasher at ibiblio.org
Mon Sep 27 21:49:24 EDT 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Tom Boucher wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2004, at 10:41 AM, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
>
>> Here's a nice editorial by Ted Rall:
>>
>> "Kerry doesn't know what the working-class people do; he hasn't done
>> any physical labor all his life," Sharon Alfman, a 51-year-old cook
>> in New Lexington, Ohio, told a New York Times reporter. It's true.
>> Kerry is a rich boy. But then she added: "Bush's values are
>> middle-class family values."
>>
>> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=127&e=18&u=/ucru/
>> triumphofthestultocracy
>
> And yet, if it weren't for people like them the IT department would be
> run by one person, an intern.
>
> It's stuff like this pointing out the collective stupidity of the
> nation some days that makes me think we get what we deserve for in a
> President.   The last two elections now seem like the lesser of two
> evils with no clear cut leader, both of them will muddle through and
> make a mess of things.

People aren't dumb just because they disagree with us.  Many people
have jobs where they have to work all day, and don't have time to
browse the Web during the work-day.

I honestly don't understand why people decry "idiot Americans".  For
all their penchant for reaching decisions based on their sense of
things rather than carefully weighing and deconstructing the word
choices exercised by the New York Times editorial board or President
Bush's speechwriters, they still make decent decisions.  And, by and
large, they know more than you or I about their specialties.  These are
people who manage to buy homes, save and invest, raise children, hold
jobs, earn promotions, cook, clean, garden, own cars, and do myriad
other things as well as or better than your average (or even
above-average) IT guy (or girl).

To top it off, most farmers have a better grasp of economics, and a
more comprehensive knowledge of futures markets, than most people on
this list.

"Idiot Americans"?  What do you call the people who obsessively deride
their fellow citizens for holding honest differences of opinion?

Cheers --

James Dasher
misterdasher dot com

"Sometimes I think the reason America is so despised in some quarters
is that we fail to live up to other peoples’ worst expectations."
- James Lileks, "The Bleat"
<http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/03/0403/040303.html>