[internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

Tom Boucher trekkie at nomorestars.com
Sat Sep 25 00:19:33 EDT 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 8:52 AM, Bill Geschwind wrote:

>> however, I've been paying TiVo fees since 2000 on 5 different TiVos
>> now. (only have two active, etc).   The nice thing about the
>> subscriptions is you just move them to the next one you get, and sell
>> the old one on eBay.   That's what I've done over the years.
>
> This only makes sense if you plan on keeping your TiVo for less than
> two
> years. The current pricing scheme for the TiVo service is either
> $12.95/month or $299 for "lifetime." Lifetime refers to the lifetime of
> the unit and is not transferable from one unit to another.

yeah, and when my first TiVo got hit by lighting, lifetime did me no
good.  I have a nice Sony TiVo sitting on the floor of my office that
I've been kicking around since '02 because of that.   Unfortunately
there are no options that I could get working to attach it to my
wireless network.

So far, i've yet to keep another TiVo over 12 - 15 months.   $12.95 +
$6.95 works for me.