[internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

ron thigpen ron at fuzzsonic.com
Fri Sep 24 16:11:33 EDT 2004

Roger Austin wrote:

> We now have five VCRs and only two really work. Will she toss the old
> machines? Absolutely not, but I digress...

How many are Betamax?  You may be able to open some sort of roadside
museum for curious children who have only ever seen DVDs.  (Just kidding
here, you should see my cassette tape collection.)

One shortcoming is that the recordings are not portable.  You have to
watch them on the box that recorded them.  You can dub them off, but
that would be in realtime and a pain.

> I haven't needed to record two shows at the same time since it never
> occurred me as an option.

Yeah, it's nice.  Actually takes a bit of a mental leap after years of
time-constrained viewing.

> It would be very nice though to have multiple sports shows on at the
> same time though. NFL on CBS and Fox on Sundays immediately comes to
> mind.

Did mention you can pause and instant-replay live programming?

Oh, and by tuning in to a show, hitting record and walking away, you can
return about ten minutes after it starts and FFWD thru all the adverts?

>  Suddenly, this sounds interesting. Thanks, Roger

Yeah, it's pretty good stuff.

--rt