[internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

ron thigpen ron at fuzzsonic.com
Fri Sep 24 14:44:40 EDT 2004

Roger Austin wrote:

>  One issue that seems to be true for any cable system requiring a
> set top box is that you can't automatically record multiple channels.
> For example, we have digital cable and can only record one channel
> if we leave for the weekend. Is it possible with the TWC DVR to
> record any channel without having to set the station?

Hey Roger.

The TWC DVR box has two digital tuners on board.  It can tune two
channels simultaneously, which means you can record one while watching
another, record two at the same time, even record two at the same time
while playing back another recording.

And to answer your questtion, unattended recording is driven by
selections you make in the digital cable channel guide.  The tuner(s)
will jump to whichever channel is running the selected show.

The box has a few shortcomings, but overall adds a lot of functionality.

The two biggest benefits for us have been not missing episodes of
favorites shows or movies you've had your eye on, and building backlogs
of quality material so that when you finally get some time to just flop
in front of the set you won't have to put up with the "500 channels and
nothing's on" syndrome.

--rt