[internetworkers] I Can Quit The Net Anytime I Want — Now Reconnect My DSL Before I Kill You

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Fri Sep 24 12:53:09 EDT 2004

I Can Quit The Net Anytime I Want — Now Reconnect My DSL Before I Kill
You

http://www.plastic.com/article.html;sid=04/09/24/12444337;cmt=6

Would you accept US$500 to go two weeks without Internet access? Think
you could handle that? Well, a recent study on internet usage sponsored
by Yahoo found that most participants were ready to return the 500
bucks after only five days offline.

Regardless of age, household income or ethnic background, all
participants in the ethnographic research study experienced feelings of
loss, frustration and disconnectedness when cut off from the online
world. Users described their time offline as "feeling left out of the
loop," having to "resist temptation," and missing their "private escape
time" during the day.