[internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

Tom Boucher trekkie at nomorestars.com
Thu Sep 23 20:39:10 EDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 6:41 PM, Wolfe, Joanna wrote:

> My VCR has seen better days so I was looking into getting DVR
>
> But everywhere that I look, it seems that I have to get the either
> Satellite, or digital cable, then I have to subscribe to Tivo on top
> of that.
>
> Can't I get a DVR to do what my VCR does - set it to a time and
> channel and record without having to purchase all the extra services?
>
> Regards,
> Joanna

First off, they don't require digital cable.  TiVo will record the
regular basic cable.

If you really want to find a deal, the best way to enjoy the TiVo
features & get a nice DVD Player is the Toshiba HD400.   Bestbuy.com
had them for $199.   80Hrs DVR, and a progressive scan DVD player.

But, if you don't want to pay the TiVo service I'm told it'll act just
like a VCR.  You tell it when to start and when to stop.

however, I've been paying TiVo fees since 2000 on 5 different TiVos
now. (only have two active, etc).   The nice thing about the
subscriptions is you just move them to the next one you get, and sell
the old one on eBay.   That's what I've done over the years.