[internetworkers] Cat Stevens is a terrorist?

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Wed Sep 22 15:38:45 EDT 2004

On Sep 21, 2004, at 11:40 PM, Alan MacHett wrote:
> WTF?
>
> http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/09/21/plane.diverted.ap/index.html
>
> Maybe I'm not old enough to recall some pertinent fact about him, but
> this
> seems very odd to me.

No telling how he got on the list, but as the article says, he
converted to Islam many years ago. I do recall that he once made
statements kinda-sorta supporting the Iranian fatwa (religious death
sentence) on Salmon Rushdie. Naturally, there are conflicting accounts:
	http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=17121
	http://catstevens.com/articles/00236/index.html

And he's been *very* active in fundraising for Muslim charities. As
you've probably heard, in some of these charities there's a very hazy
line between humanitarian assistance and support for militant action,
so it may just be guilt by association.

Or simply a common name, and the usual bureaucratic screw-up.

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/