[internetworkers] bright ideas on transferring email?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Sep 15 17:51:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 20:15, Sasha Akhavi wrote:
> Hi folks - somebody must know how to do this (possibly everyone but
> me).  I've occasionally had the need to transfer email that I've
> accumulated in a client on one machine to another one.  Currently I
> want to transfer a couple mailboxes' worth from Apple's mail program
> on my wife's iBook, which we used during an extended trip, to Eudora
> on our iMac.  Previously, I've had to export all the emails to a
> single text file if I wanted to save them at all after losing access
> to the previous computer.  Naturally, then I lose any indexing
> ability, etc.  Anyone got a better idea? Sasha

I usually use an IMAP server for this purpose.  Set up the IMAP accounts
in both e-mail clients.  Copy/upload all the e-mails to the IMAP server
on the first client, and then download them to the 2nd.  It will keep
most things like reply flags, threading, etc, and it is completely
cross-platform between any e-mail client and operating system.

Ideally, you could just use IMAP entirely and stop storing your mail
locally (but I realize that can be an issue with laptops that aren't
always connected).

Jeremy