[internetworkers] bright ideas on transferring email?

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Tue Sep 14 21:50:25 EDT 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 8:15 PM, Sasha Akhavi wrote:

> Hi folks - somebody must know how to do this (possibly everyone but
> me).  I've occasionally had the need to transfer email that I've
> accumulated in a client on one machine to another one.  Currently I
> want to transfer a couple mailboxes' worth from Apple's mail program
> on my wife's iBook, which we used during an extended trip, to Eudora
> on our iMac.  Previously, I've had to export all the emails to a
> single text file if I wanted to save them at all after losing access
> to the previous computer.  Naturally, then I lose any indexing
> ability, etc.  Anyone got a better idea? Sasha

Use IMAP. You can drag folders or individual messages from a local
mailbox into a server side IMAP mailbox. Then pick up that mail from
any IMAP capable client. You can do this with your existing .Mac
account or, if you don't want to waste the space on your .mac account,
get a free IMAP account with 10MB of room from http://fastmail.fm/

BTW, I would recommend the fastmail.fm service to anyone who is looking
for an online mail setup. It's a very clean interface and has both IMAP
and POP3 access. Paid accounts get vast amounts of space along with
server side filters, spam protection, virus protection, multiple
aliases, etc etc. They even keep a blog detailing server changes and
any unexpected outages at http://blog.fastmail.fm/

For the geeks among us,  fastmail.fm runs on Cyrus IMAPd, Postfix,
clamd and SpamAssassin with a custom written web frontend. The guys who
run the server are very active on the cyrus-info mailing list and have
provided many good patches and enhancements back to the Cyrus project.

--
Scott